The Journey...

I started this blog in 2010 under the title "The Fat to Fit Chronicles" to document the training for and completion of my very first half-marathon. My decision to train was the first step on my journey from fat to fit. In my former life I was 319 lbs, depressed, and living a "less than" life.

Over the course of training I discovered a passion for fitness and helping others. So this blog has morphed into something more than just my musings and venting. My hope is that when you leave this blog you have learned something or picked up something valuable to aide you along your own journey.

So mount up, Posse, and let's go from Fat to Fit!!



Thursday, March 10, 2011

Going the Distance. . .

"It really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed. And if I can go that distance, ya see, and that bell rings, ya know, and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, ya see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."--Rocky Balboa

In case you don't already know, I love Rocky Balboa. I've seen every last movie at least three times each. Beyond the boxing (which I also love) is Rocky's character. He goes into these fights knowing that he's the underdog--even when he's the champion. He is aware of the odds and the naysayers and all the reasons why he should fail. And yet, he trains, he works, he shows up, he doesn't quit. His goal is to go the distance. His goal is to stay in the fight. I remember in Rocky IV when he (Rocky) is training in the barn while the Russian dude is training in a state of the art facility. That was the first time I had ever seen Roman sit ups and I've wanted to crank them out ever since then. (I had to pull this video: http://kingpinfails.com/rocky-iv-training)

Don't ask why but, during Bible Study last night when we were talking about Noah getting up every day for (possibly) 100+ years to build an arc while people jeered at him, I thought of Rocky Balboa. (Don't judge me! It's all about life application, right?)   Am I that determined? Can I will myself to put in the work so that I can go the distance? Do I have enough faith to believe that I can go the distance?

I hear so many people talk about how they want to get fit but their actions don't follow their words. I don't judge because I've been there. I see how they go full steam for a week or two, then putter to stop. I don't judge because I've been there. But then, I also see those who keep pushing forward. I read emails from people who are sore but encouraged. I read posts from women who have come off of medications because of their diligence.

You can go the distance but the most successful way to get their is one little step at a time. Rocky went 15 rounds with Apollo Creed--15 gut wrenching, eye-splitting, head-pounding rounds. Each step, or each round, gets you closer to where you want to be. Start with knocking out 30 minutes of activity every day. Can't do 30? Then commit to 15. From there add on a new healthy habit every week or so. Your goal is to be fit for a lifetime. What do you gain by losing 20 lbs but picking up 30 lbs three months later?

Do what it takes to go the distance: WORK AT IT and don't quit.

To become a member of Jenita Lawal's team, please visit www.beachbodycoach.com/fitgirlposse and sign up for a free membership. To view the Fit Girl Posse run/walk schedule, visit www.fitgirlposse.com. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fitgirlposse  Be Fit4Life!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing. I was thinking about you a little while ago and how I'm so determined no matter what to cross that finish line in Lambeau May 15th. It doesn't matter what my time is. I don't care if I limp across the line, I'm getting my medal and I'm going the distance! You're gonna rock it Saturday, girl. Who cares if it's not your best time, "Finishing is Winning" Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My motto for Saturday, "Slow is the new fast"

    ReplyDelete