The Journey...

I started this blog in 2010 under the title "The Fat to Fit Chronicles" to document the training for and completion of my very first half-marathon. My decision to train was the first step on my journey from fat to fit. In my former life I was 319 lbs, depressed, and living a "less than" life.

Over the course of training I discovered a passion for fitness and helping others. So this blog has morphed into something more than just my musings and venting. My hope is that when you leave this blog you have learned something or picked up something valuable to aide you along your own journey.

So mount up, Posse, and let's go from Fat to Fit!!



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Victory. . .One Mile at a Time

"That quitting action is what's most detrimental because it fosters negative self-attribution, which can manifest as (negative self-talk) that becomes a vicious cycle. Once you're hooked in that negative self-talk, you lose steam and motivation"--from "Lighten Up" by Jayme Otto, Runner's World Magazine

For a week I've been contemplating and meditating on what to share. While I'm not one to create lofty (and basically half-baked) resolutions, I do believe that the new year is a great time to think about renewal, revamping, refocusing, redefining. Perhaps it's also because my birthday is in January; it makes me evaluate where I am in my life. Whatever the reason, I have been focused on my goals for 2011. The trick to making goals--as opposed to resolutions--is that goals require process. Goals require a plan of action. Think about it. Does a soccer player kick the ball once from the opposite end of the field and actually expect to make a goal?? No, the team devises a strategy to make it down field and score. (feel free to scream "GOOOOOAAAALLLL!!!!) A lot of us give it several big kicks and decide the goal is unattainable. Is it really? Or could you have scored by making it up the field yard by yard?

Three major goals for me this year are to 1) live a balanced life, 2) lose 60lbs, 3) complete four (4) half-marathons. For each of these goals I have sub-goals. For example, living a balanced life means committing myself to get rest because I tend to short-change myself in that area. It also means prioritizing my time and having a game plan for accomplishing things. Losing 60 lbs means I need to tighten up on my eating, which has been my struggle. So the sub-goals for that are to plan my meals, lessen the amount of convenience foods I buy, and commit to eating breakfast (which I tend to skip). It's crazy to admit, but the easiest goal on my list is completing the four half-marathons this year. Yes, I said easiest. I say that because training for me is actually enjoyable. The challenge comes in making the time to train. The added benefit is that training for the halfs will help me accomplish the goal of losing 60 lbs.

What are your goals for 2011? If you can't think that far ahead, then make a couple of goals for the next 30 days. Whatever your goal, remember that victory is won one mile at a time, one step at a time. Celebrate the days you succeed and try to understand what happened on the days you were not successful (and be honest with yourself). Write down your progress so that when you feel discouraged you can go back and view your journey.

I want to leave you with a few quotes that have inspired me this week. They are focused on "vision" because in order to succeed you have to visualize it first. You have to see yourself victorious. I remember one day during my training last year I completed what would be the final segment of the race. When I walked past the point that would be the finish line, I could hear cheers and see balloons. I just started smiling and pumping my fist (which caused the tourists to stare). I had a vision of success.

Remember these quotes as you push towards your goal. Turn one into a mantra (or create your own mantra!). Whatever you do, don't let the negativity and doubt keep you from reaching victory. Combat that negative self-talk and doubt with a VISION OF VICTORY!

Where there is no vision, the people perish. . .Proverbs 29:18


A vision is not just a picture of what could be; it is an appeal to our better selves, a call to become something more. --Rosabeth Moss Kanter

If we are to survive, we must have ideas, vision, and courage. These things are rarely produced by committees. Everything that matters in our intellectual and moral life begins with an individual confronting his own mind and conscience in a room by himself. --Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. --Carl Jung

When you have vision it affects your attitude. Your attitude is optimistic rather than pessimistic. --Charles R. Swindoll

Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.--Henry Miller

The only limits are, as always, those of vision.--James Broughton

No comments:

Post a Comment