The Journey...

I started this blog in 2010 under the title "The Fat to Fit Chronicles" to document the training for and completion of my very first half-marathon. My decision to train was the first step on my journey from fat to fit. In my former life I was 319 lbs, depressed, and living a "less than" life.

Over the course of training I discovered a passion for fitness and helping others. So this blog has morphed into something more than just my musings and venting. My hope is that when you leave this blog you have learned something or picked up something valuable to aide you along your own journey.

So mount up, Posse, and let's go from Fat to Fit!!



Monday, January 24, 2011


We cannot become what we need to be by remaining what
we are. — Max Depree

Changing your life is hard. Challenging people's perceptions is hard. Confronting your inner demons is hard. Practicing discipline and self-control is hard. Add on top of all this, dealing with friends and family while attempting to change. I understand some of how Jesus felt when he had to leave home to step into his ministry. I understand some of what a reformed addict or recently released convict feels (thinking of First Time Offender and 28 Days). It is hard to sustain change when those around you are working against you or are lying in wait for you to revert back to your old self.

While I have received positive feedback from many friends and family members, I still get those who are like "yeah, whatever." One friend even said, "How can a fat girl tell a skinny person how to eat?" That comment so deflated me. It was like someone had thrown a glass of ice water in my face. Couple that with the looks I get when I tell people that I'm a Beachbody Coach. It reminds me of how I feel when I'm racing--alone and out of place, as if people are thinking "what is she doing here?". Amazing that after 79 pounds and many, many miles on the pavement and treadmill my self esteem hops back to that dark place. I thought I left those feelings behind? Those feelings made me go back and think about why I do what I do. The "why" for my current passion. It took me back to my 4th grade May Day Celebration.

Picture it, late April 1987 in beautiful Hawaii. The entire fourth grade class of Hale Kula Elementary were set to perform a hula. My dilemma? We had to all get up from a cross-legged position simultaneously without using our hands--basically, using only your leg muscles to get up. Dude what??? I was mortified. All I could see was me falling or not being able to do it and the audience laughing at the fat girl. I practiced until my legs were sore! I could not face that type of humiliation. On the big day I did it!! I was elated, ecstatic even. . .but not because I was able to do it, but rather, because I avoided humiliation. I avoided being singled out, a joke, a disgrace. I can't tell you any other tidbit about that day or the actual hula; I just remember avoiding the shame.

While others may be comfortable with me remaining that person--that girl so afraid of humiliation that she discounts her accomplishments or sits out of life--I am no longer comfortable there. To become the person I want to be for my self, my children, my family, my friends, and my community I have to be different. If others don't understand that or support that then "deuces!" This train will continue to keep moving and I will continue to post my blog, share fitness tidbits, encourage others to get active, and all those things that some find annoying. I know that they find me annoying because my action causes them to question their actions. It challenges them to BE different. Some will accept the challenge and others will not. . .Either way I will keep trudging along making a difference one mile at a time. . .one person at a time.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing woman and I am so proud of you!! Work it, girl!! I'll take all the advice you want to give (I'm no longer the skinny girl from high school thanks to a couple of kids and now defunct thyroid). I have always thought you were an amazing testimony of strength and that is only being reinforced now!

    ReplyDelete